Tips for every mom from elite athlete, trainer, and cofounder of SISSFiT, Lauren Collins
by Steve Silvestro, MD @zendocsteve
One of my strongest beliefs is this:
You have to learn to take care of yourself in order to better care for your kids.
Of course, that often seems more easily said than done.
Once the baby comes, life is forever changed. Free time seems to disappear. You’re tired all the time. And your body is…different.
Pregnancy changes your body in ways that can be both beautiful and challenging.
Our culture places so much emphasis on “losing the baby weight” — but what if there could more than that? What if you could be stronger — both physically AND mentally — after your baby than you were before?
My guest in this episode knows how to get you there.
Lauren Collins is a phenomenal athlete. After an injury sidelined her Olympic bid in track and field, Lauren channeled her athletic prowess into a career in sports modeling. With her sister, Kelly, she cofounded SISSFiT — a fitness brand that inspires and empowers women around the world to take their fitness into their own hands.
And along the way, Lauren became a mom — experiencing first-hand the challenges that new moms face, and carving out her own amazing path forward.
Lauren Collins will get you inspired and strong — and shares her top tips for moms in this interview.
Take a listen on your favorite podcast app or in the player below:
In This Episode, We Talk About:
- What even elite athletes find challenging post-pregnancy
- When you can start exercising post-baby
- What types of exercises to start with
- How to know when you can move on to higher intensity workouts
- Extra considerations for nursing moms
- What to do if you weren’t someone who focused on fitness before pregnancy, but are using this moment to step forward
- The importance of taking time for yourself
- Diastasis Recti — the separation of ab muscles due to pregnancy — and how to address it
- How to fit fitness into the busy schedule of being a parent
- Ideas for both stay-at-home and working moms
- Fitness gear that Lauren found useful after pregnancy
- How to summon the willpower you need when you’re feeling exhausted
- …and a whole lot more!
Scroll up to the player above to listen, or hear it on your favorite podcast app!
- SISSFiT website: https://www.sissfit.com
- SISSFiT on Instagram: @siss_fit
- The program Lauren took postpartum: ReCORE Fitness
- Hyperice Vyper 2.0 Vibrating Fitness Roller