Constipation in Kids
Gastroenterologist Dr. Sarina Pasricha shows you how to fix this frustrating problem for good!
by Steve Silvestro, MD @zendocsteve
I bet you never expected being a parent would mean thinking about your kids’ poop as much as you do, huh?
And when your child is constipated, it becomes something you think about A LOT. Constipation is frustrating for both kids AND parents, and sometimes it can seem as if there is no fix in sight.
My guest today is Dr. Sarina Pasricha, a nationally recognized gastroenterologist who is an expert on constipation, fecal incontinence, irritable bowel syndrome, and gut health. She graduated cum laude from Harvard University in biological anthropology and nutrition. She then attended Northwestern University Feinberg School of Medicine for medical school. She subsequently completed her residency and gastroenterologyfellowship at the University of North Carolina where she also received a Masters of Science in Clinical Research from the Gillings School of Public Health. She has published extensively in the most respected gastroenterology journals and has given more than 40 national presentations. In addition to receiving numerous teaching awards, she has received prestigious awards from the Howard Hughes Medical Institute and the National Institutes of Health.
In short, she knows how to get things moving!
If your child has dealt with constipation, you need to hear this conversation.
Take a listen on your favorite podcast app or in the player below:
In This Episode, We Talk About:
- How common constipation is — including the staggering number of ER visits it causes each year!
- Types of constipation & the triggers for each
- Why you have to “re-train” the bowel as part of the treatment of constipation
- How diet factors into constipation, including how much fiber you need each day
- A walk-through of different types of over-the-counter medications used to address constipation
- Thoughts on controversies about Miralax that pop up every now and then
- How long treatment might take
- The best time of day to encourage your child to try to have a bowel movement
- What Irritable Bowel Syndrome (IBS) is and what to watch for
- Why fruits and vegges have such a HUGE impact on your child’s gut health
- …and a whole lot more!
Scroll up to the player above to listen, or hear it on your favorite podcast app!
Mentioned in This Episode:
- Dr Sarina Pasricha on Instagram: @docsarina
- Related Child Repair Guide Episode: Gut Health, Probiotics, Good Bacteria, and Your Kids – with Dr. Will Bulsiewicz
- Dr. Will Bulsiewicz on Instagram: @theguthealthmd
- The Squatty Potty!