Helping Kids Cope in Difficult Times
A therapist’s tips to manage big emotions and hard challenges
by Steve Silvestro, MD @zendocsteve
“Fear and what you do with it are two separate things.”
I love this quote from Kimberly Brubaker Bradley, especially right now.
What we and our kids do with big emotions can have more of an impact on our lives than feeling the emotions themselves.
In this episode, Robin Brannan, founder of Better Together Family Therapy, shares tips to help kids cope in difficult times.
You just might find that many of these tips helpful for yourself, too!
Take a listen on your favorite podcast app or in the player below.
You can also watch our interview in the video below:
In This Episode, We Talk About:
- Why we should teach our kids to have an “emotional vocabulary”
- Why it’s important to match your teen’s drama!
- Finding the root of your child’s behavior
- Why open-ended questions are key to helping your child solve emotional challenges
- What to do if your child isn’t one who likes to open up
- Helping kids learn self-awareness so they can better manage challenges
- What healthy coping looks like & how to teach kids the required skills
- Calming & energizing activities for you and your kids
- The power of giving voice to emotions
- …and a whole lot more!