Home Teaching & Helping Kids Thrive During COVID-19
Tips from global experience to help your family adjust and grow
by Steve Silvestro, MD @zendocsteve
We’re in a new normal—and with no clear end in sight.
And as frustrating or anxiety-provoking as it may be, there is one indisputable fact about our current situation: We and our children will grow as people because of it.
So how do we ensure that growth and development are the best they can be? How do we help our kids thrive during COVID-19?
Having lived in Hong Kong and currently living in the Netherlands, Dr. Anisha Abraham has seen friends and coworkers manage parenting in a pandemic for months now—and she shares the lessons they’ve learned in our conversation on The Child Repair Guide Podcast.
Dr. Anisha Abraham is a pediatrician and teen health specialist based in Amsterdam, Netherlands and on faculty at both the University of Amsterdam and Georgetown University Hospital in Washington, DC. She works with teens, parents, and educators globally, using her 25 years of experience as a clinician, researcher, speaker, and health educator. Her book Raising Global Teens: Parenting in the 21st Century will be released this autumn in local bookstores and on Amazon.
Listen as we discuss everything from home learning to how to help kids thrive in the midst of social distancing and pandemic.
Take a listen on your favorite podcast app or in the player below:
In This Episode, We Talk About:
- Dr. Abraham’s insights having seen the COVID-19 pandemic move from East to West
- How the lack of toilet paper is a global phenomenon!
- How to talk to kids about coronavirus & what’s happening because of it — with conversations broken down by age
- How to keep kids socially connected while physically distancing
- Tips to help with home learning & development
- Using this time to build on kids’ strengths
- The role of parents in online learning & connecting with classmates
- Signs your child or teen may be anxious, depressed, or overly stressed by the current situation
- How to use this time to teach kids empathy & kindness
- …and a whole lot more!
Scroll up to the player above to listen, or hear it on your favorite podcast app!
Important Resources for You to Use:
Dr. Abraham’s Resources
Related Child Repair Guide Episodes
- Pediatrician’s Tips for Kids’ & Teens’ Mental Health During Coronavirus
- Tips for When Your Kids Are Bored
- No Coronavirus Playdates. Here’s Why