How to Make Homework Time Less of a Struggle
Acclaimed tutor Zoie Hoffman guides you through some of kids’ biggest homework challenges
by Steve Silvestro, MD @zendocsteve
When your kids were little, chances are that you’d occasionally face a “witching hour”—usually somewhere between 5 and 7 PM—when everyone was cranky and emotions ran high.
Now your kids are older and what happens smack in the middle of that timeframe? Homework!
Whether kids have specific challenges with learning or are doing just fine in school, it seems that tears and battles over homework are über-prevalent today. I hear it from friends and patients, and have absolutely experienced it in my own home.
Sometimes it’s the volume of work. Other times, it’s hard and your kid swears that you’re helping them wrong (that’s always a fun one…). And sometimes it’s that your child just doesn’t feel like doing it right now—though you know it needs to get done.
Enter: Zoie Hoffman.
Zoie is the founder and lead tutor at Hoffman Tutoring Group, an online tutoring company that serves students in K-8th grade. Zoie’s passion for personalized learning stems from her own experience struggling with academics in elementary and middle school. She dedicates her time to ensuring students get the education and mindset building they need to meet their academic goals through individualized tutoring sessions with amazing and qualified online tutors.
Zoie knows how to make homework less of a struggle for everyone—and she shares her tips in this episode.
Take a listen on your favorite podcast app or in the player below:
In This Episode, We Talk About:
- Are kids having a harder time with homework today than in years past?
- How to help kids organize their approach to assignments
- Importance of taking breaks—and how long kids can be expected to focus based on their age
- How to plan for long-term assignments & projects
- Why you need to teach your kids how to get organized instead of expecting them to just know
- The best time for your kids to do their homework
- What to do if your family is too busy to keep up with homework routines
- Tips for kids with ADHD & other learning challenges
- How involved should parents be with their kids’ work?
- Thoughts on the role of homework in today’s education
- How reading logs can backfire & what to do instead
- How to handle it when your child says you’re teaching it wrong
- How to help your child through self-doubt
- …and much more!’
Scroll up to the player above to listen, or hear it on your favorite podcast app!
***Take a screenshot of your podcast player, tag me on Instagram @zendocsteve, and let me know what moment in my conversation with Zoie Hoffman meant the most to you!***
Important Resources for You to Use:
Zoie Hoffman’s Information
- Website: www.hoffmantutoringgroup.com
- Facebook: https://www.facebook.com/hoffmantutoring
- Instagram: @hoffman.tutoring.group
- The Anxiety Cure for Kids, by Elizabeth DuPont Spencer, Robert DuPont, Caroline DuPont
- Ish, by Peter H. Reynolds
- Beautiful Oops, by Barney Saltzberg
- Find more on my list of The Pediatrician’s Favorite Things!