How to Prevent SIDS – Safe Sleep with Amber Kroeker
It’s the fear that runs through every new parent’s mind at night: “Is my baby breathing?”
The fear of SIDS (Sudden Infant Death Syndrome) and infant suffocation is among the first giant worries that plague moms and dads in the early months of parenting.
And it’s not without reason — nearly 3,700 infants in the United States die each year from sudden unexplained infant death, including SIDS.
Clearly, there’s more to know than just “back to sleep.”
Knowing the risks involved in day-to-day activities that we take for granted — things like wearing your baby in a wrap, or even letting her nap in a carseat — is key to learning how to reduce those risks.
Amber Kroeker is here today to help us wade through the uncertainties of SIDS and infant suffocation so that you can rest easily knowing that your baby is sleeping safely. Amber is the Child Injury Prevention Coordinator at Randall Children’s Hospital in Portland, Oregon, and is a leading voice in the infant safety community. She’s also the driving force behind the Smitten Sleep System, an award-winning, next-generation bassinet box designed to reduce infant sleep death.
Listen to all of her insights on Safe Sleep by clicking here for iTunes or playing in the player below.
In This Episode, You Will Learn:
- The most common causes & risk factors for SIDS and infant suffocation
- The age at which infants are most at risk for SIDS
- Why babies’ anatomy puts them at the highest risk for suffocation during sleep
- How sleeping in the carseat can risk SIDS and infant suffocation
- Tips for wraps & baby-wearing — how to do it safely
- When you can introduce stuffed animals, blankets, etc., into your baby’s sleep area
- What type of sleep devices can help create a safe sleep area
- And much, much more!
This is information that every new parent needs to hear!
Be sure to SHARE this page & this episode with anyone you know who has a little one on the way or at home!
Important Resources & More
- Pip & Grow – for information about the Smitten bassinet box, plus Amber’s contact information and social media
- The Arm’s Reach Cosleeper – one of the most popular cosleepers
- Safe Kids Worldwide – the global organization dedicated to protecting kids from unintentional injuries