How to Teach Kids to Combat Bullying
Anti-bullying expert’s tips for parents & teachers to help kids protect themselves from bullies
by Steve Silvestro, MD @zendocsteve
Bullying has been a hot topic over the last several years, and for good reason.
Now, we could talk about statistics—how depending on the study you read, anywhere between 20 and 50% of kids report being bullied sometime between late elementary school and the end of high school…….How nearly 1 in 3 kids admit that they’ve bullied someone else. Yeah……Or the fact that up to 70% of kids report being a witness to bullying, and how if one of those bystanders speaks up, then we know that bullying stops within seconds more than half of the time.
But all the stats and figures can’t really give a good enough picture of the toll bullying has on kids’ & teens’ lives. We hear the headlines of the young kids and teens who tragically take their lives as a result of being bullied, and those who’ve had the experience can tell you of the emotional and psychological scars it can leave behind.
My guest today is on a mission to help kids protect themselves from that experience.
On paper, Daniel Amaguana seems like an intimidating figure—a fifth-degree blackbelt with over 20 years of experience in martial arts, who has run Pandas Karate in Derwood, Maryland with his wife Susan for over 10 years, and promoted over 400 students to black belt.
But in real life, Daniel has become a rising star in teaching kids & teens another type of self-defense—to use their voices to combat bullying.
Guys, talking to Daniel was like talking to an old friend—we covered a ton of material, and I strongly encourage you to listen all the way to the end.
As you listen, take a screenshot of your podcast player and tag me @zendocsteve in your Instagram Story—let me know what you think of this episode!
Take a listen on your favorite podcast app or in the player below:
In This Episode, We Talk About:
- The definition of true bullying—and the difference between bullying and just saying rude things
- Empathy for bullies
- Using your voice to stand up for yourself
- Why ignoring is an outdated technique in the era of “Me Too”
- What bullying looks like at age 6 versus age 12 versus age 16
- Cyberbullying & why parents need to use the same apps as their kids
- Steps for parents to deal with bullying at school
- Signs your child is being bullied
- Daniel & I roleplay the 3 Steps to Dealing with a Bully
- When kids must reach out to adults
- Daniels incredible story of the powerful impact an adult can have on a kid who’s being bullied
- What to do when your kid is the one doing the bullying
- When it’s okay to physically fight back
- Is bullying part of human nature? How can we be the change?
Scroll up to the player above to listen, or hear it on your favorite podcast app!
Important Resources for You to Use:
Daniel Amaguana’s Information:
- Pandas Karate
- Bring Daniel’s anti-bullying workshop to your school
- Daniel’s Instagram, YouTube, and Facebook
- The PK Talk Podcast