Developing Healthy Eating Habits at Any Age
Jennifer Anderson of @kids.eat.in.color podcast interview gives parents the low-down on getting kids to eat healthy foods without a battle!
by Steve Silvestro, MD @zendocsteve
This is the conversation you’ve been waiting for.
I have been asked for years to cover nutrition and healthy eating habits on the show, and I’m glad I’ve waited—because today I’m excited to share with you the wide-ranging insights of Jennifer Anderson. If you’re a parent on Instagram, you probably know her as @kids.eat.in.color—where she helps her over 1 million followers develop healthy eating habits in their kids without battles.
Jennifer is a dietician and also holds a masters of science in public health, in international health and human nutrition from Johns Hopkins School of Public Health. Plus, she’s a mom—so she knows the challenges of feeding young kids first-hand.
This is an amazing, wide-ranging interview covering so many of the challenges parents face when it comes to getting kids to eat healthy foods.
If you have a kid & they eat food, you need to hear this conversation.
You can watch our conversation in the video below, or take a listen on your favorite podcast app:
In This Episode, We Talk About:
- The benefits & pitfalls of growth charts
- How to talk to kids about nutrition without creating future problems around food – starting with what to say to help kids develop a healthy relationship with food from the start
- What is a healthy approach to eating?
- The importance of variety in kids’ diets – and how to get them to actually eat it
- What an ideal meal looks like
- Picky eating tips + how to tell picky eating versus normal kid behavior
- Importance of understanding parents’ versus kids’ roles at mealtime
- The “One Bite Rule”
- What to do if your kid only wants one food
- Anxiety’s role in picky eating
- What to do if your child won’t sit for a meal
- Snacking tips & concerns
- What if your child is sneaking food
- Jennifer and I share our mutual love for – and concerns about – elderberry
As you can see, we touch on just about every obstacle parents might face. Jennifer was an amazingly insightful guest & I’m thrilled to share this conversation with you!
Scroll up to the player above to watch, or hear it on your favorite podcast app!
This episode is sponsored by happyly. Happyly was created to help every parent feel like a super parent, with inspiration for activities and curated adventures near home or on the go. Take the pressure out of planning family adventures & download the free happyly app today.
Important Resources for You to Use:
- Follow Jennifer Anderson on Instagram: @kids.eat.in.color
- Jennifer’s website, where you can find her Real Easy Weekdays Meal Plan + her Better Bites online course: www.kidseatincolor.com
- Get your own “Happy Little Trees” Broccoli shirt – the same shirt Dr. Steve wears in the video above – right here