Things Mentally Strong Parents DON’T Do
Bestselling author Amy Morin, LCSW, tells parents what to avoid if they want to raise happy, resilient, successful children
You may or may not recognize Amy Morin’s name, but I guarantee that you’ve read her work.
Her mega-viral article on 13 Things Mentally Strong People Don’t Do has been viewed and shared millions of times and has likely rolled across your Facebook feed several times in the past couple of years.
The universal truths and power of that article led to Amy’s first bestselling book, a TED talk, and more — and now she’s brought her unique wisdom to the world of parenting with her new book, 13 Things Mentally Strong Parents Don’t Do: Raising Self-Assured Children and Training Their Brains for a Life of Happiness, Meaning, and Success.
This is one of my all-time favorite interviews, and I guarantee that you’ll walk away from this one with several new insights into how to best raise your family.
In This Episode, We Talk About:
- The definition of “mental strength”
- How to talk about emotions so kids act out less
- Why the parent’s role isn’t to make kids happy
- How not showing emotion does not equal mental strength
- Why kids having too much power in a family isn’t good for them in the long run
- How to tell if your kids have too much control in your family & what to do about it
- The difference between “bribes” and “rewards”
- How the way you phrase statements to your kids determines whether or not they’ll listen
- Why your kids might be getting the wrong idea about what your family values — despite your best efforts
- How to use everyday experiences to teach your kids about your family’s values
- and a whole lot more…
Scroll up to the player above to listen, or hear it on your favorite podcast app!
Here’s a Sample of Our Conversation:
Important Resources for You to Check Out:
- Amy Morin’s website: www.amymorinlcsw.com
- Amy Morin on Twitter: @AmyMorinLCSW
- 13 Things Mentally Strong People Don’t Do: Take Back Your Power, Embrace Change, Face Your Fears, and Train Your Brain for Happiness and Success
- 13 Things Mentally Strong Parents Don’t Do: Raising Self-Assured Children and Training Their Brains for a Life of Happiness, Meaning, and Success