A Psychologist’s Tips for Helping Kids with Pain
Tools you can use at home to help your kids when they hurt
by Steve Silvestro, MD @zendocsteve
I hurt when my kids hurt.
It’s heartbreaking as a parent to watch your child be in pain.
And if your child has chronic pain, it can take such a toll on your family that you’d do everything possible to help your child feel better
This episode is going to give you everything you need to understand–and help–your child with pain.
My guest is Lindsay Clendaniel, PhD, a pediatric psychologist and director of Thinking Tree Psychology. Dr. Clendaniel specializes in the treatment of children, adolescents and young adults with anxiety and health-related adjustment issues. Among other topics, Dr. Clendaniel has particular expertise in pain management, having presented at national conferences on the topic and helped hundreds of families learn to manage chronic pain so that kids and teens can live their best possible lives.
If your child has dealt with pain, you need to hear this conversation.
Take a listen on your favorite podcast app or in the player below:
In This Episode, We Talk About:
- The surprising number of kids who suffer from chronic pain
- Common causes of chronic pain in kids
- The biopsychosocial model of pain — how emotions and environment impact pain & vice versa
- How pain impacts families
- What mental health professional can offer a child with pain
- What cognitive behavior therapy is
- Other tools, including specific breathing exercises, biofeedback, and more
- Tips for teachers and other adults in the life of a child with pain
- What NOT to say to a child with pain
- Language you can use to help kids understand their pain & what they can do about it
- What mindset shift parents need to best help their child with pain
- How to find the right mental health professional for your family
- …and a whole lot more!
Scroll up to the player above to listen, or hear it on your favorite podcast app!
Important Resources for You to Use:
Dr. Lindsay Clendaniel
- Conquering Your Child’s Chronic Pain: A Pediatrician’s Guide for Reclaiming a Normal Childhood, by Lonnie K. Zeltzer, MD, and Christina Blackett Schlank
- Pain in Children and Young Adults: The Journey Back to Normal, by Lonnie Zeltzer, MD, and Paul Zeltzer, MD
- Managing Your Child’s Chronic Pain, by Tonya Palermo, PhD, and Emily Law, PhD
- When Your Child Hurts: Effective Strategies to Increase Comfort, Reduce Stress, and Break the Cycle of Chronic Pain, by Rachael Coakley, PhD
Relaxation Strategies for Kids