Sunburn Prevention & Treatment for Kids – with Dermatologist Dr. Cyndee DeKlotz
We know that getting out to enjoy a sunny day is nourishment for the soul for both ourselves and our kids.
And yet, we also know that the sun can wreak havoc on our skin–potentially leading to painful burns, lines and wrinkles as we age, and even the threat of skin cancer.
Worse still is trying to figure out the best way to protect our kids’ skin.
What SPF should you choose? What ingredients are best? Are you putting on enough sunscreen to be effective?
And that’s all before you try to put sunscreen on a wriggly, squirmy kid who hates it!
In this episode, I turned to dermatologist Dr. Cyndee DeKlotz to talk about Sunburn Prevention & Treatment for Kids. Dr. DeKlotz received her medical education at Georgetown University School of Medicine, then completed her residency at Georgetown University and her fellowship at University of California San Diego. She currently cares for both adults and children and is quite brilliant–I have sent many of my own patients to her and all have received excellent care. In our conversation below, Dr. DeKlotz gives you the low-down on everything you need to prevent and treat sunburns and sun damage in your children.
Get ready for some useful tips to keep your kids healthy in the sun in Episode 17 with Dr. Cyndee DeKlotz!
Listen on your favorite podcast app or in the player below.
Some Questions That I Ask:
- What ingredients should we make sure are in our kids’ sunscreen?
- Are there any ingredients that we should avoid?
- What’s the deal with SPF? Do higher numbers actually do anything more?
- How do we make sure our kids are getting enough Vitamin D if we’re using sunscreen all the time?
- What sun protection products do you use for your own kids?
- How do you know if a sunburn needs to be seen by a doctor?
In This Episode, You Will Learn:
- Why SPF only matters if you’re applying sunscreen the right way
- The right way to apply sunscreen!
- The unsuspected reason why drinking water is crucial when you’re out in the sun
- How age, number of sunburns, and types of sunburns can lead to skin cancer
- Whether UPF sun-protective clothing is useful for kids
- And much, much more!
Recommended Sunscreen Products
- Neutrogena Pure & Free Baby SPF 60 Sunscreen
- Neutrogena Baby Sunblock Face Stick, SPF 60
- Blue Lizard Australian Sunscreen – Baby – SPF 30
- EltaMD UV Clear SPF 46
- Coolibar UPF Sun-Protective Clothing
Remember to SHARE this episode with your friends, family, parent groups, and message boards so that all of our kids can enjoy a lifetime of healthy skin in the sun! Have pictures of your family enjoying the sun? Tag me on Instagram @zendocsteve!