Working from Home with Kids (and Surviving!)
Psychologist Dr. Andrea Bonior shares the key steps to working at home with kids underfoot—and not feeling like a failure!
by Steve Silvestro, MD @zendocsteve
We all have multiple roles to play—but none of us expected to have to play them all at the same time, all day long.
These last several months, many parents have had to fill the roles of parent, educator, and teleworker with few, if any, clear boundaries between them.
The result? The nagging feeling that you’re failing at every single one of those jobs.
If this sounds like you, you’re not alone—and as Dr. Andrea Bonior discusses in this insightful & fun interview, you’re not doomed to feel this way forever. In fact, there are clear, simple steps you can take to feel more confident as you juggle all of these responsibilities at once.
Dr. Andrea Bonior is a best-selling author, speaker, professor, and licensed clinical psychologist. She’s the winner of a 2020 national Excellence in Teaching Award from the Society for the Teaching of Psychology, and author of three books—including her latest, Detox Your Thoughts: Quit Negative Self-Talk for Good and Discover The Life You’ve Always Wanted.
This is Dr. Bonior’s second appearance on The Child Repair Guide and I walk away with a plan to put into action every time I talk to her.
If you’ve struggled to feel successful at all the roles you play these last few months (and haven’t we all!), you need to hear this conversation.
Take a listen on your favorite podcast app or in the player below.
You can also watch a video of our conversation here:
In This Episode, We Talk About:
- The importance of knowing that you are not alone if you are feeling overwhelmed & stressed right now
- Why this time is a chronic stress—and what that means for our health
- How to manage the feeling that you’re failing at both work & parenting
- How to use your struggles as teaching moments with your kids
- How changing expectations can open us up to meaningful vulnerability and connection
- Why feeling like you’re messing up can actually empower your kids
- Tips for setting boundaries while working and parenting from home
- Role of employers in redefining work-life balance right now
- Steps for tackling negative thoughts—and why we need to
- The power of community and hope
- …and a whole lot more!
Scroll up to the player above to listen, or hear it on your favorite podcast app!
Important Resources for You to Use:
- Dr. Bonior’s website: https://drandreabonior.com/
- Dr. Bonior’s LinkedIn Learning Course